Constant Communication

Kaycee Adair, Staff Writer

On average, there are 10 active devices in each household in the United States. There are many ways to communicate: texting, calling, e-mailing, video call/face time, chat rooms, voIP and forums, but most of us use text and voice. We asked some Dodson students how many times they text each day. I asked a 6th grader, Makoa Wachi, how many times he texts a day, and he said,¨I text about maybe once or twice, each day. Sometimes more.¨ Even though some people can text once, or twice a day, some people can text a lot more often. People in junior high and high school, send an average of 3,339 texts a month. Females that range in ages from 13 to 17, send 4,050 texts a month. Males that range in ages from 13 to 17 send 2,539 texts a month. We asked Anais Ayala how many times she texts a day and she said,” I think about 10 times each day, give or take some texts especially on weekends.¨ The average teen spends a total of 23 hours a week, reading and composing texts and each American sends and receives 33,834 text messages per year. That means that the average American spends about 1,119 hours sending and receiving texts.That also means that an entire 6 weeks of your year, is spent sending, composing, and receiving texts. It is now being called the invisible addiction and has been concerning people all around the world. Multiple news stations including GMA, BBC, Fox News, ABC, and CNN have setup articles on their websites about the dangers of phone overuse and ways where you can stop using it so much without feeling like you have nothing else to do without it.

Here are a few tips that may help: try to not use your phone 30 minutes before bed, try to not unlock the phone just to unlock it, try keeping it away from your bedroom, and talking over a phone is no substitute for human interaction so remember, every once in a while, just talk to someone. You’d be surprised by what you would learn and how much happier, and healthier you would be. The phone isn’t always the only thing left around to use, talk to, play with, and help you learn new skills . Even though it is quite obvious that not everyone spends the same amount of time on communication or uses the same versions of it, text and call are the most efficient and easy forms of communication and will be around for quite a while longer.